Trashigang district used to be the largest district in terms of population and land mass until 1992 when a new district Trashiyangtse was created. People here speak scharchopkha, a dialect spoken in eastern Bhutan. Trashigang town is located in a small valley, crowed with houses as it has very limited space to expand. This place is busy as people going to Samdrup Jongkhar, Trashiyangtse, Merak, Sakteng, Radhi, etc., all pass through it.
Trashigang dzong is built on the ridge over looking Drangme Chhu and country side and it was built in 1659 on the site originally planned by Trongsa Penlop Minjur Tempa. Trashigang dzong means the dzong of auspicious mount.